Crestview Baptist Church, located at 3600 Columbia Road, has had a long, 40-year history of reaching people for Jesus, creating disciples, and making an impact for the Kingdom of God. Although faithful to the gospel mission and loving those who come through the doors, over the last decade Crestview has experienced a declining membership and financial state. Faced with less than 20 active members, unable to financially maintain their facility and estimating only being able to operate for the next 4-6 months, Crestview, understanding God’s Church is greater than any individual church, began discussion with Embark Church, a church start-up that was looking to move into a permanent location.
In an incredibly generous act of selflessness, on June 10, 2018 Crestview chose to transfer their property to Embark Church. This is a work only God could do and demonstrates the faith, hope and love of a people wanting to serve God. As a result of their selfless sacrifice, Embark now prays and works toward continuing Crestview’s long legacy of faithful witness to the community at the 3600 Columbia Road property.
An action only God could do
Only God could have done this. Having two congregations open to discussing a new future, hearts open to transferring property to another church, and understanding that the church is bigger than one congregation is a work that only God can do. Such an action by God is a witness that, as Paul says in Ephesians 4:4-6, there really is only “one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call— one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.” GOD IS GOOD!!!
When is Embark moving?
Embark WILL NOT immediately move to the 3600 Columbia Road property. Prior to relocating, the property must undergo repairs and renovation. Embark must also prepare to relaunch, add staff, tweak operations, and other actions to reach more people. As a result, we anticipate remaining in the YMCA for the next 12 months.
Here are the immediate steps regarding relocating to the 3600 Columbia Road property:
(1) Architects. On Tuesday, June 26, we started the renovation process and met with architects. According to them, it will take two months to develop the plans, a necessary step prior to construction. We anticipate beginning construction mid to late September.
(2) Congregational Information Meeting. On Tuesday, July 10, we are having a congregational information meeting at the 3600 Columbia Road property. The purpose of the meeting is to inform you about the process of re-launching Embark into the community.
(3) Worship at 3600 Columbia Road. On Sunday, July 22, we will fellowship and worship with Crestview at the 3600 Columbia Road property.
(4) Super Serve Saturday. On Saturday, August 11, 9am-noon, we have a congregational “Service Saturday” at the 3600 Columbia Road property. We will be assisting with the removal of items from the 3600 Columbia Road property in preparation for renovations.
(5) Subscribe. You can subscribe to these relocation updates by entering your email under the “Subscribe to blog via Email.” The updates will automatically go to your inbox.
We are excited about what God has and is doing, the new friends we have made with Crestview and how HIS Kingdom is being furthered! God is GOOD!